We understand it is not a revaluation year, however, you can still protest your 2019 valuation between 5/1/20 & 6/1/20 if you received notice that the assessor changed your valuation for 2020 (payable in 2021) by May 1st. These valuation changes are usually due to new construction or a change of classification. See the attached assessor’s notice for more information and contact our office with any questions.
Here’s how it works:
- The Assessor mailed out a yellow protest form along with your tax bill by May 1st 2020.
- The protest deadline is June 1st; a small window of time in which to file a protest.
- If a protest is not filed by the deadline then the right to protest is lost for this year.
Here’s what Telluride Consulting, LLC can provide:
- A Comparable Sales report of 18 months of verified sales similar to the subject property.
- The report will include all relevant sales that occurred during the period from Jan 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
- This period is the state-mandated time frame for sales upon which to base the new valuation.
- The sales will be sorted by Price, allowing easy comparison with the subject property.
- The property owner will have the basic data upon which to make an informed decision on whether or not to protest.
- Should the property owner decide to protest, we can provide them with multiple reports, narrowing the comparable criteria in order to establish a justifiable specific reduction in valuation.
- Accompanying these reports will be a detailed letter of analysis, which can be directly submitted to the Assessor, with the reports, as a formal protest.
- There are four steps available in the valuation protest process:
- Protesting to the County Assessor.
- Protesting to the Board of Adjustment (i.e. County Commissioners).
- Protesting to the State Board of Assessment Appeals.
- Protesting to the District Court.
Here’s what we charge:
- Option 1 (Client Filed): IF your client orders a Comparable Sales report, the price is $250, AND they are guaranteed our services if they decide to protest before May 15th. Our detailed letter of analysis and related reports are billed at $125 per hour.
- Option 2 (Telluride Consulting Filed): IF your client wants us to file the protests, we will go through Steps 1 & 2 (i.e. Assessor and Board of Adjustment) and if approved we will charge you 30% of the savings for the year the valuation lasts in addition to the $250 Comparable Sales report. If needed, we can also perform Step 3 at a charge of $125 per hour. If the property owner wishes to go to Step 4, we will provide consulting services at a charge of $125 per hour.
Here’s why you should refer your clients to us:
- We are highly successful in our valuation protests due to our strategic approach and comprehensive database.
- Our work is reliable and respected by the county.
Because the protest period is so short, we encourage you to reach out to us at email@example.com or (970) 708-1804 as soon as possible if you or your clients’ current valuation seems too high.